Saturday, June 17, 2006

In the summer time


OK, to be fair there are several things that I love about summers in Columbus. Here are a few:

  1. Fireflies - they've just started to come out and there's something about them that seems so magical.
  2. Rita's Italian Ice
  3. The CAPA summer movie series. They play old movies Downtown in the Ohio Theater. Tickets are only $3.50 and it's worth that price just to see such an amazing theater. I'm hoping to catch Hitchcock's Suspicion there next week.
  4. Ohio Festivals. They have them for just about everything you can think of. This weekend in the Duct Tape Festival in Avon and the Festival on the Fish in Vermilion. I have never been to either of those festivals, but we have been to the Washboard Festival, Columbus Arts Festival, and the Pumpkin Festival. The one thing that you can always expect is a lot of unusual deep fried food.
  5. Free Shakespeare in the Park. We went tonight to see A Midsummer's Night Dream and the weather was perfect. Here's a picture that I took before it got dark.
  6. The Ohio State Fair. I don't consider myself much of a State Fair kind of girl, but you have never been to a state with more pride in their state fair. Where else can you find a lifesize sculpture of a cow made out of butter?
  7. Farmers Markets. Ok, techinically we only go to the farmers market in Athens or at the North Market, but they have farmers markets all over town. When we go, we always try to pick up something unusual that we've never tried before. That's how I fell in love with yellow water melon.
  8. Cedar Point - also not in Columbus, but one of my favorite parts of Ohio summers. If you want to avoid the heat, it's a good place to visit in the fall too. I've been on a lot of roller coasters, but none of them have been nearly as terrifying as the best at Cedar Point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend! The boy's are so missing you. Everytime Cole get's in trouble he starts saying..."I want Aunt Stephy and Larry". I haven't figured out why he says that but he does. We'll have to visit after you get back.