Friday, January 05, 2007

Jamaica

Our frist full day on the ship was Christmas Eve. We spent the day relaxing, eating, and becoming Who Wants to be a Millionaire Champs! (too bad we just got medals and not a million dollars). The boys insisted on wearing their medals to the formal dinner that night (ok, we were more semi-formal, but who wants to wear an evening gown when they are pregnant?)

Every night our steward left us an animal folded out of extra towels. He was pretty creative.
We spent Christmas Day in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We hired Duane to be our personal guide and then we headed to Dunns River Falls.
The Falls were amazing, but a little crowded . My family climbed the falls while I took the dry path since I couldn't risk falling. Here they are towards the bottom, just beginning their big climb.
And here they are about halfway up.
There were a few calm spot where I could slip in for a picture too.

After the Falls Duane took us around the island. We visited Fern Gully, toured a garden, visited the Spice Man, checked out the view from a good lookout point, and we even convinced him to take us to his house so my mom could hand out some toys she brought along for kids there.
On the way to Duane's house we ran into this creepy parade with people dressed in scary costumes. Duane said the parades are a tradition there on Christmas day left over from slavery days. It's not a tradition I'll be trying out at home.
After all of that we relaxed on the beach while we ate some jerk pork and then we headed back to the boat for a big Christmas dinner. I think I was pretty tired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could make animals out of towels. Wow. Ok I love that last picture of you guys. Cute

Anonymous said...

Duane took you to the "Spice Man," eh? What spices, exactly, does he sell?

:)

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun, thanks for sharing the pictures.