Thursday, December 09, 2010

It's the most wonderful time of the year

and we are lucky enough to live by one of the most beautiful places to see Christmas lights in the world.  All of my Christmas decorations may be in storage, but it certainly feels like Christmas around here.  Actually, having the decorations in storage have been a good reminder that Christmas is not about things, but more about celebrating our savior and spending time together as a family.  We've been busy doing just that (ok, we've been involved in some of the fun, commercial side of Christmas too, but we'll talk about that later).
 Since we live so close to Temple Square, we decided to go see the Christmas lights there more than once.  We'll be visiting when my family all gets into town for Christmas, but why wait?  Our friends the Davids joined us, and it was such a nice relaxed evening.
 I loved watching the babies, Ruby and Ollie, in awe.  And even though I'm not sure how much Ollie really comprehends, I love watching Larry lean down and whisper explanations of Christmas and the nativity to Ollie.
 Have I mentioned that I'm desperately in love with that guy?  Because I am.
 Its amazing how there can be huge crowds at Temple Square, but it still feels so peaceful.




 I had no idea that if you head east of the temple, there are large nativities from around the world displayed (you learn things like that when you go places with the Davids)
 And the walkways by the nativities are all lined with amazing luminaries.
 Before I was a mom, I had no idea how much sharing moments like these with my boys would mean to me.
 As an added bonus, Creed was so tired that he fell asleep leaning on this trash can while we were all taking off our shoes at home so I guess the evening brought us all a little peace.

5 comments:

mandi said...

BWA-HA-HA!!! I love that pic of Creed asleep on the trash can! Oh man- that is FUN-NEE!!!

The Temple Square looks beautiful! And that Asian inspired nativity is so precious. Looks like such a fun time!

I know what you mean about going multiple times. We live in a small town- our town square is all lit up and decorated. We probably go by there (and the cuh-razy Christmas house) at least 3 times a week. Why not?

Larry said...

The trash can nap implies a successful night! A fun one indeed.

Heather said...

Temple Square has got to be one of the very best places to be during Christmas. So glad you could all go.

Steph, would you send me your email? I'm doing electronic Christmas cards this year and yours got sent back.

Nikki said...

Love the last picture and so glad to see you are enjoying the holiday! Will you please send me your new mailing address?

Linsey said...

So beautiful.