Monday, January 31, 2011

Where There's a Will, There's a Way

Let's talk a little bit about this guy.
 I can't even begin to describe how much I adore him!  He is his own little person no matter what other people say to him and it makes me so happy.  His latest obsession with princesses cracks me up.  Almost all of his friend are girls so he gets a lot of princess playtime at their houses, but he's noticed that we don't have any princess things at our house.  As you know, he decided long ago that he wanted a Belle doll for Christmas, but he's been making do with what he has in the meantime.  He regularly brings me a blanket and straight pin and asks me to make him a princess skirt and I think he dresses up as a princess with his best friend Malan every day at preschool and he doesn't care what other boys think (although most of the other boys like to take turns in the princess dress-ups as well).  And if you notice I regularly have to fight him for my shoes.
Before Christmas he kept building this train (James from Thomas the Train, who he thinks is a girl train named Jane) and adding all the blocks on the back and calling it Rapunzel and asking if I like her beautiful hair (We saw Tangled and it was a big hit).
He was really nervous about Santa this year, but decided to be brave and sit on his lap because he really wanted to make sure Santa knew he wanted Belle and Rapunzel dolls (Sorry I'm too lazy to scan in the real picture. )
A few days later he was helping me pick out some Sub-for-Santa gifts for a four-year-old girl, when he spotted a Tinkerbell doll with wings that light up.  You should have seen his crocodile tears as he sobbed out the explanation that he made a really big mistake, and he told Santa that he wanted Belle and Rapunzel, but he really wants Belle and Tinkerbell.  I assured him that it wasn't too late to write Santa a note, and we headed home to do just that.  How could Santa say no to a great picture of Tinkerbell like that?
I wish you all could have seen Creed's joy Christmas morning.  While his cousins opened all of their presents, he sat and played with Belle and Tinkerbell and did not want to open anything else.  It was literally an hour before we could even get him to consider opening another gift.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! So many parents insist boys play with boys toys out of some crazy fear. It's so great when children are allowed to be who they are and aren't forced into some mold of who they are supposed to be. It's even better that he doesn't care what others think :)

Shar said...

my nephews love playing princesses with our girls and it's so much fun! kapria got several princess dresses for christmas and they all wore them every day. she also loves dressing up in their spiderman costume as soon as she walks in the door. even with only girls, we have quite a few batmans and other heroes at our house. when people come over and see them they always say, "why do you have boy toys?" aaah! girls and boys can play with anything they like, and most of them like both! so sad when parents tell kids otherwise. shannon hale has an excellent post about boys watching girl movies, which i think falls under this same category. anyway, love that creed got his belle and tinkerbell!

Mom said...

When people came to our house and saw that Rosalynd had asked for a Barbie doll in a wheelchair, someone said, "You're either doing something very right or something very wrong." describing our parenting. You guys are doing something very right. Hugs...

Jansox said...

I've never commented on your blog but I've been following for about a year (sorry for being a lurker but I do enjoy your blog!). I think I found your blog while you were still pregnant with Ollie and I was pregnant with my son. I just wanted to say I love the way you let your children be who they are, whoever/whatever/whenever/wherever that may be. In all your pictures I can just see what great spirits they have and I can see their creativity and humor. Thank you for that, it's very refreshing to see. You inspire me as a parent of my first son, Jacob (8.5 months old)! :)

Jansox said...

Oh AND I have the ABC and 123 posters that you designed for Sycamore Street Press! I bought them before I found your blog and found out that you designed them! I LOVE them, they're one of my favorite parts of his nursery. Thank you for your design sense! :)

Larry said...

Love that kid!